Hi, welcome to my blog. Leave a comment and let me know what you think about my posts.
Ciao!

Friday, February 8, 2008

Grilled chicken pesto


My 5 yr old son joshua loves pesto and will eat it anyway i serve it. But the pesto pasta(that's what he calls it) that i make him is just plain and as a growing boy, he needs protein etc. etc.
This recipe is so simple to make. I have a small herb garden in my backyard so i only have to pick the basil leaves and get the rest from the fridge and pantry and i'm all set.
This is not an original recipe and you can find this in most restaurant menus that serves pasta. I used walnuts instead of pine nuts because the oil found in this wonder food is good for your health. Don't be afraid to substitute as long as you agree with the flavour. I use lime when i'm out of lemon. Theres no drama. But please don't substitute the olive oil.

So here is my take on this recipe. Just serve it as it is or with a simple salad and you have a meal pronto! I hope you enjoy it as much as my son did. I got the thumbs up and a kiss!




grilled chicken pesto

1 whole grilled chicken breast ( deboned)

2 cups basil leaves

1/3 cup extra virgin olive oil

juice of 1/2 lemon

1/4 cup walnuts

50gms parmesan cheese (extra to serve)

1 clove garlic

salt and pepper to taste

350gms pasta (any will do but i use fussili or penne)


Make the pesto first because pasta is best eaten right after it is cooked so leave it for last. In a food processor or blender, pulse all the ingredients except for the lemon and olive oil, until it is coarsely chopped. Add the olive oil and lemon juice slowly in a stream until it's of a thin paste consistency. Add more oil if you want the sauce thinner.


Meanwhile slice the roast chicken breast across the grain


Cook your pasta of choice according to packet instruction. Drain and toss in the pesto and sliced chicken breast then serve it with more parmesan cheese. Enjoy.




No comments: