Hi, welcome to my blog. Leave a comment and let me know what you think about my posts.
Ciao!

Wednesday, February 20, 2008

Beef with broccoli


Stir fry is one of the easiest and quickest food to prepare second only to opening a can of corned beef. But who wants to eat corned beef when you can make this stirfry in about the same amount of time. Just top it on a steaming bowl of rice and it's good to go.

My son and I love broccoli. I often steam it together with carrots and serve it as a side dish when we have adobo or bistek tagalog. My husband on the other hand will eat almost anything. He is not very fond of stir fries but as I told you he is not very picky. You can substitute broccoli with cauliflower or snowpeas

The secret to stir frying is to wait for the wok/pan to turn really hot. Make sure that all the ingredients are ready before you start because the cooking process takes only a few minutes. I always add sesame oil to stirfries as it gives the dish an oriental flavour.


Beef with broccoli
serves 4

1/2 k beef rump (sliced thinly)
1 medium head of broccoli (cut into florets)
1 onion
1 cm ginger
1 tbsp oyster sauce
2 tbsp light soy sauce
dash of sesame oil (optional)
1 tbsp cornflour (dissolved in 1 1/2 c water
salt and pepper


Heat oil in a wok until smoking. Stirfry the beef until slightly browned. Add the ginger and onions and continue stirring for 1 minute then add the broccoli. Stir until the broccoli is tender. Mix the oyster sauce and soy sauce to the cornflour mixture and pour in the wok. Season with salt and pepper. Turn off the heat when the sauce thickens and add the sesame oil and give it one last stir.







No comments: