Hi, welcome to my blog. Leave a comment and let me know what you think about my posts.
Ciao!

Sunday, March 9, 2008

Chicken kaldereta






I'm trying to add more tomato based dishes in our meals because tomatoes has lots of antioxidants and good for the male specie (lowers risk of prostate cancer). So if you want to keep your MOTH(man of the house) for a long time, feed him tomato based dinners. Raw tomatoes are not as good because it has to reach a certain temperature before it releases lycopene(the good stuff).
I always make beef kaldereta but this is the first time I've made chicken kaldereta. Unlike beef kaldereta, I wanted the sauce to be light and not too rich. I omitted the liver pate' as I thought it's too overpowering for the chicken but I added fennel seed and some herbs that I have in my garden. Dried ones works well too but reduce the amount to a third. I also added lots of stuffed olives because all of us love it including my son who has developed a gourmet taste. He was two when he first tried pesto served on the plane when we went home to the Philippines for a holiday and since then became his favorite pasta sauce.

He loved the kaldereta and couldn't wait for dinner as you can see in the photo.


chicken caldereta
1 k chicken drumsticks
2 cloves garlic, minced
1 medium onion, chopped
1/4 c tomato paste
1bay leaf
2 medium potatoes, cubed
1 medium carrots, cubed
1 medium capsicum (bell pepper), diced
1 small can pineapple
1 tsp sweet paprika
1/2 c frozen peas
1 c green olives
1 tbsp chopped fresh basil
1 sprig rosemary
pinch of fennel seed
olive oil
salt and pepper
Heat the olive oil and saute onion and garlic until transparent. Turn up heat and add chicken until slightly browned. Turn down heat to medium high and stir in tomato paste and saute for 1 minute. Pour 500 ml of water or chicken broth and add paprika, herbs, fennel seed and bay leaf and cover for ten minutes. Add the potatoes, carrots, pineapple and capsicum and boil until the potatoes are tender then season with salt and pepper and stir in the frozen peas, olives and 1/2 c grated cheese and return to boil. Turn off the heat and serve.














No comments: